Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Mood Swings

I suppose it's normal, but ...

I'm going through some mood swings right now in regards to The Vedia Gamble. It probably happens to every writer (except maybe Stephen King, because he knows anything he writes is gonna get published AND sell millions of copies). But for the rest of us ...

Monday, I was happy and enthusiastic about my story. I'd just finished my latest editing pass and was really excited about some of the changes I'd made, and how some parts had really come together. No question about it, this book is GONNA get published.

Yesterday, I sent out fresh copies to all my beta readers. Still feeling good. Then sent some chapters to a writer who expressed an interest in seeing more of my book after hearing a three page reading.

... And the roller coaster plunges to the bottom of the hill. Gawd, did I really send that, and to a professional? What was I thinking? It's not that good. It's never gonna sell.

Then I sit down to write a synopsis (I need one for the Gather.com competition). I'd heard about how hard it was, so I'd been dreading it. I was pleased when it came together relatively quickly. Back up a little. Maybe things aren't as bad as I thought.

THEN I send the synopsis out to several people ... and post it on the wrimobuddies group over on LJ. Not only do I plunge back to the bottom of the hill, but my car derails. The feedback isn't precisely negative, just points out some weaknesses in the synopsis. It's good feedback, and important, but ... now I'm quite sure this story isn't good enough to be published, and never will be....

Oh well. First I'm gonna take a stab at re-writing the synopsis. Then I'll see what my loyal group of beta readers has to say. And I'm reminding myself that this is how I felt just before I did my reading at COSine -- which was a very positive experience overall...

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?